Author Topic: Volunteer Ministers return to Haiti  (Read 3399 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Volunteer Ministers return to Haiti
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:36 »
Scientology First Responder Heads Back to Haiti - PR Web (press release)
10 July 2010, 3:28 am

Australian Scientologist Peter Dunn prepares to return to Haiti in July 2010 for a second tour of duty with the Scientology Disaster Relief Team.

"I want to help," says teacher Peter Dunn, 61, on why he is returning to Haiti with the Scientology Haiti Disaster Response Team. "As a trained Scientology Volunteer Minister I knew I could help and felt it was something I personally needed to do."

Troubled by the images of the destruction of Haiti that played non-stop on his TV screen in Adelaide, Dunn contacted the Scientology Volunteer Ministers international headquarters in Los Angeles, confirmed they were deploying a disaster response team to Port-au-Prince, paid for a ticket from Australia to Haiti and told them to count him in.

Arriving in early February, Dunn spent nine weeks in Haiti. He describes the conditions then as "pretty rough." "After an exhausting day and a shower in a bucket of water, you'd fall asleep and be startled awake by military jets taking off in the middle of night," he says of his first weeks living in a tent at the Port-au-Prince airport.
more at http://www.prweb.com/releases/Scientology/Volunteer_Ministers/prweb4244734.htm

A slick video, testimonials and music are found in this PR piece expounding the helpfulness of the volunteer ministers and benefits of Scientology.

I'm sure that some of the volunteer ministers actually managed to be helpful in Haiti and that the medical teams were happy to have any assistance. On the other hand, sending trained nurses, med techs or nursing assistants rather than the VM's might have been more helpful and efficient. Surely, there were plenty of these individuals who had volunteered.

Hopefully, this next trip to Haiti won't result in any OR's being raided of vital supplies like water.
http://vimeo.com/9971039

The VM's have been covered several times on the "Ask the Scientologist" blog. One such article is linked below.
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,3326.0.html
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Re: Volunteer Ministers return to Haiti
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:09 »
Coincidentally ..... last Thursday Anderson Cooper announced his return to Haiti to do some follow-up coverage.

Sound Off: July 12th marks the 6 month anniversary of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. Monday and Tuesday, Anderson will be reporting live from Haiti on the recovery effort. What do you want to know about the recovery effort so far? What do you want to see?on Thursday

I can't find the exact post link now, but it's still the current "Status" of his page.

I'm not saying it's completely related, but considering how Scientology posted a very misleading report about him, trying to discredit him as a reporter, after his coverage of Scientology, it's just interesting that soon after he announces a return to Haiti, so do Scientologists.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:12 »
Coincidentally ..... last Thursday Anderson Cooper announced his return to Haiti to do some follow-up coverage.

Sound Off: July 12th marks the 6 month anniversary of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. Monday and Tuesday, Anderson will be reporting live from Haiti on the recovery effort. What do you want to know about the recovery effort so far? What do you want to see?on Thursday

I can't find the exact post link now, but it's still the current "Status" of his page.

I'm not saying it's completely related, but considering how Scientology posted a very misleading report about him, trying to discredit him as a reporter, after his coverage of Scientology, it's just interesting that soon after he announces a return to Haiti, so do Scientologists.

Interesting. Thanks for this info Stu.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/09/video-haiti-revisited/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56 »

I don't know whether to be worried for his safety, or giddy that the Scienos may footbullet themselves yet again in front of Cooper, who will no doubt report it.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 13:57 »
I don't know whether to be worried for his safety, or giddy that the Scienos may footbullet themselves yet again in front of Cooper, who will no doubt report it.

I'm not worried about his safety.  I think this is possibly either a cult didn't know scenario, or a PR vs. PR stunt by Scientology.  AC is just doing his job ... as a reporter ... which Scientology's attempted smear crap claimed means he should NOT be going to Haiti to report about Haiti xD

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 19:36 »
Interesting, too, that they chose to highlight an Australian Scientologist returning to Haiti right after the Australian Senate Inquiry.   M-|V|-M  Distraction tactic?
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 20:41 »
Could be...as in, an attempt to show they do "provide a public benefit." Touch assists are not a public benefit, however.

The Human Wiki.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 13:39 »
Uhm .... also here's a photograph of the "relief" they are supplying:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5780/scientologyassistbookle.jpg

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 16:13 »

I'm sure those were really helpful during a disaster. 
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 13:45 »
I winder if they taste good, or can be used for toilet paper. That's the only usefulness I can imagine the Haitians could get out of them.

Meanwhile, entire warehouses full of food moulder away, undistributed. Same thing happened in the 80s with all the "Feed The World" campaigns, IIRC, though that was said to be due more due to in-fighting among the locals than apparent inefficiency, as in Haiti. Getting supplies to Haiti and safely storing them is great, but you need to actually DISTRIBUTE them to the needy and hungry, too.

The Human Wiki.