Author Topic: Child eye diagnostics  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Child eye diagnostics
« on: July 28, 2010, 19:53 »
This really took me by surprise at another forum, but I thought it's good to know (although it IS rare), for the times any of us may be photographing children :)

Quoth the other place:
Anyone who has used a flash with their camera has experienced the effects of red eye; a condition that happens when the light is coming from an angle too close to the angle of the lens. This being the case, what would happen if you took a picture of a child and only one eye turned red? Would you know what that means?
There is a serious condition called retinoblastoma, a cancerous tumor sometimes found in children that deforms the back of the eye and prevents the red eye effect. More than one photographer has spotted this and alerted their clients that a closer look by a doctor is warranted. Check out the details here.
While no one wants to get a diagnosis like this, retinoblastoma is completely treatable if caught early enough. You may literally save a life with your observation.

http://www.daisyseyecancerfund.org/rb/eye/photography.html#challenge

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Child eye diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 22:11 »
Very interesting.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: Child eye diagnostics
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:32 »
You don't want to know what an UNtreated retinoblastoma looks like. The more ways to spot them earlier, the better.

/medical librarian
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"