Author Topic: [Google] Govt anti-drugs campaign's 'worrying' link to Scientology - Brisbane Times  (Read 938 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Govt anti-drugs campaign's 'worrying' link to Scientology - Brisbane Times
11 September 2010, 4:22 pm

EXCLUSIVE:

Concerns have been raised about a partnership between the Federal Government and a drug awareness group run by members of the controversial Church of Scientology.

Corporate lawyer and researcher Grainne O’Donovan said the partnership could potentially be used by the church, through Drug Free Ambassadors Australia (DFAA), to try to  recruit members from schools and youth groups.

The DFAA - sponsored by Scientology - is a partner in the government’s National Compact set up by former Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd in March within the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR).

The DEEWR website says the National Compact is an agreement between government and ‘‘not-for-profit’’ community organisations to provide “real input into government policy and program delivery’’.

“(The Compact) enables true collaboration on key social, economic and environmental challenges facing communities and it allows the broad range of not-for-profit groups to work with government to achieve a shared vision,” it says.

Ms O’Donovan said it was “worrying” that the DFAA was in a position to influence government policy, considering serious widespread concerns about its practices.

‘‘They are citing the entry on the government’s Harm Prevention Register in written materials, giving the impression they are a government-approved charity,’’ she said.

“The ambassadors aren’t just against illegal drugs they are also against approved medical drugs and psychiatry.’’

more at http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/govt-antidrugs-campaigns-worrying-link-to-scientology-20100911-155rj.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:49 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.