Author Topic: Remember this? Narconon UK President implodes  (Read 3555 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Remember this? Narconon UK President implodes
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:13 »
This is a repost on holysmoke of an interview from 1997 with UK Narconon President John Wood.

Subject: UK MEDIA: Narconon UK President implodes on-air

The following interview was conducted on 20 December 1997 by a local radio station in Guildford, Surrey. The Mayor of the town had earlier withdrawn at the last minute from the opening of a helpline by the Narconon drugs rehabilitation centre, described by the US IRS as a "Scientology-related organisation".

The presenter of the station's morning programme, Johnny Greenwood, subsequently interviewed John Wood, the UK President of Narconon. However, the interview rapidly descended into a farcical slanging match which, if the Mayor was listening, would surely have confirmed that she was right to withdraw her support for Narconon. Although Greenwood repeats the same question no less than eight times, Wood refuses to answer and instead launches into vitriolic attacks against the programme's researcher (!).

The interview can be heard in streaming RealAudio from: http://www.spirant.demon.co.uk/sound/Narconon.ram

And it can be downloaded for offline playing from: http://www.spirant.demon.co.uk/sound/Narconon.ra

My thanks to Sol for the recording and help with the transcription.

For more information about Narconon, see the critical web pages at: http://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/~cowen/essays/narconon/narconon.html

Excerpt starts here:

PRESENTER: Well, that was our reporter, Nicola Downs, reporting there. And John Wood of Narconon joins me now. Good morning, John.

JOHN WOOD: Good morning.

PRESENTER: The first criticism contained in the report there that I've like to ask you about - in your leaflet, which I've got in front of me - "Give them the truth and they'll see the lies" - the word Scientology doesn't appear at all. Why not?

JOHN WOOD: I don't see why it should. I mean, Narconon is an effective drug rehabilitation centre. It is also a tested method of warning children about the dangers of drugs. Now, L. Ron Hubbard wrote many techniques to overcome many of society's ills. There's a whole range of issues - solutions to develop in society - how you - I don't see why every time his name is mentioned all of them should be mentioned next to it.

PRESENTER: Well, just to pick you up on that at the moment, what were Mr. Hubbard's qualifications for this?

JOHN WOOD: Well, he was an expert in I think 29 different fields.

PRESENTER: Well, according to the Board of Mental Health in the State of Oklahoma, and this was written in 1991, they said that they threw out the certification of Narconon purely because he had no professional qualifications and was not really fitted to quote on it.

JOHN WOOD: No. You've got old information there. Your researchers didn't do their job properly. Can I just - Can I just start again? Listen: we are saving people's lives. Narconon is an effective drug rehabilitation centre. Now, what has happened here, right, is that controversy has been created by your researcher on purpose because that's his job. That's how he feels he gets his reward, by creating controversy. He has gone through - on that tape he has gone to people who are know - going to say something untrue about it. How come he hasn't gone to - There are a hundred and forty thousand people in the world who say their lives have been saved thanks to Narconon.

PRESENTER: Where has this research been published?

JOHN WOOD: No, they're all over the world. The testimonials - Sorry, there's no doubt that Narconon is the most effective drug rehabilitation method in the world -

PRESENTER: Where is the published research?

JOHN WOOD: There are plenty of reports that have been conducted -

PRESENTER: Like where, for example?

JOHN WOOD: Well, perhaps - Well, there have been tests done in Sweden, in Spain and various other regions written up in the Journal of Toxicology. But the problem is that your researcher went out of the way to create controversy.

PRESENTER: Well, this is your opportunity to tell -

JOHN WOOD: Absolutely - No, I would rather say I -

(both talk at once)

PRESENTER: You're not telling me where I can go to, an accredited body in *this* country which has scientific approval, to tell me that your Narconon is an effective treatment against drugs.

JOHN WOOD: Well, the effective - the place to go is to meet the people - Why don't your researchers ever contact people who have done the programme? My own - my own friend, my best friend - I was at university with him at this university in the eighties, he was an alcoholic. He says his life was saved. He tells me himself his life was saved by drugs [sic]. He's a Guildford man who was injecting methadone for fourteen years. And he would never be - Narconon -

PRESENTER: I'm not suggesting that nobody's ever benefited from your programme, I'm saying that the fact that we do not seem to have any written evidence from what people would recognise as a properly qualified clinical body in the United Kingdom to give you the full accreditation -

(JOHN WOOD tries to interrupt)

PRESENTER: - to be an accredited anti-narcotics agency. Why not?

JOHN WOOD: It is not a clinical agency. It is not medical. That's the main reason.

PRESENTER: So it's psychological?

JOHN WOOD: No - I mean, when the centre operated in the UK, in Dover, and in Crowborough [near East Grinstead], we are authorised as a registered care home for those who phone in from Social Services to be put into the care home and we received funding from the Social Services programme. And - If we were medical, we would have to be a nursing home, so I'm sorry but it's more than medical treatment. If you like to call it psychological, it basically deals with the reasons someone got involved in drugs in the first place -

PRESENTER: All right -

JOHN WOOD: - and how to overcome it.

PRESENTER: So you're saying that people who deal with drugs are, we know, enormously vulnerable, and especially when you're getting them off it they go through all kinds of psychological dark shadows which are being brought out. Now, you say you're not medical and you're not psychiatric, so what qualifies you to do this?

JOHN WOOD: Well - God! - we've got nothing to do with *psychiatry* - their practices are *dangerous*! They put people on - now listen to this - psychiatrists put people *on* an addictive substance more addictive than the drugs they were taking in the first place. They replace heroin -

much more found here:
http://www.holysmoke.org/narconon/narconon-president-imploded.htm
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 15:54 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Remember this? Narconon UK President implodes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:08 »
I hadn't heard about that.  It's a script they use, even though they may not realize they're reciting it, and when the other person veers off the practiced question-response, they divide by zero and go all crazy.  It's outside the programming for them to deal with people who come up with their own unique objections, or who think logically or objectively. 

This is a repost on holysmoke of an interview from 1997 with UK Narconon President John Woods.

Subject: UK MEDIA: Narconon UK President implodes on-air

For more information about Narconon, see the critical web pages at: http://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/~cowen/essays/narconon/narconon.html

The information from this link is now on Dave Touretzky's site: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/ or alternately, http://narconon-exposed.net

PRESENTER: Well, I mean, for example the one I quoted - admittedly - from seven or eight years ago which says that certification was refused, this was the one in America - here we are, the Board of Mental Health for the State of Oklahoma - now, you must have, presumably, acceptances from people who are not the Board of Mental Health for the State of Oklahoma.

JOHN WOOD: Oh, yes - now, you see - this is going to be embarrassing for you, I'm afraid - the thing you are putting out there - the Oklahoma Board of Mental Health - What actually happened is that psychiatrists that are controlling that, run that mental health board, refused a licence to Narconon because their own methods are ineffective, they were going to be embarrassed. The vested interests in their methadone treatment and all their -

It's a conspiracy, I tell you, all a conspiracy!   ::)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Remember this? Narconon UK President implodes
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:03 »
 :-D^\^\
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama