Author Topic: [Google] Prosecutors point to failing software company in Fowler murder trial - Denver Post  (Read 864 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Prosecutors point to failing software company in Fowler murder trial - Denver Post
23 February 2011, 11:14 am
By Monte Whaley |The Denver Post

BRIGHTON — Opening arguments were this morning during the first day of testimony in the first-degree murder trial of William Rex Fowler, the owner of a software company accused of shooting to death his former business partner on Dec. 30, 2009.

Fowler shot Thomas Ciancio to death and then turned the gun on himself because the software company he founded was failing, an Adams County prosecutor said in court today.

Prosecutor Yvette Werner told jurors that Fowler shot Ciancio because Ciancio believed the company owed him money.

Ciancio "paid with his life and his blood," Werner said.

However, Fowler's lawyers said Fowler aimed to kill himself, and Ciancio interrupted his suicide attempt.

Both sides in the case claim Fowler Software was failing because Fowler gave as much as $200,000 in company funds to the Church of Scientology.

Fowler, 58, is a prominent member of the Church of Scientology, and the trial has attracted attention from both supporters and detractors of the organization.

However, the allegations that Fowler funneled money from his company to the church are not a factor in the case, Adams County District Judge Francis Wasserman has said. Wasserman barred prosecutors from asking prospective jurors about their views on Scientology.

Fowler allegedly shot Thomas Ciancio three times in the head with a 9mm Glock handgun at Fowler Software after Ciancio came to collect $9,900 in severance pay. Ciancio had resigned his job as chief operating officer of the business in a dispute over the way Fowler was managing the company.

more at: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17461131
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 21:19 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Laura Zaspel and Alexander Fowler testify in a courtroom packed with the friends and family of Tom Ciancio. Crime scene and DNA evidence was also presented.

It is clear that Tom Ciancio was extremely popular with his co-workers and will be missed by many.

Fowler Trial Day 2: Ex-Fowler Software CEO Tears Up On Stand
Rex Fowler On Trial For Killing Thomas Ciancio

found at http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26983968/detail.html

Links to video are on the site: Day 1: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/26974478/index.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 21:58 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama