Author Topic: [Yahoo] Church of Scientology Proposes Net Censorship In Australia (Slashdot)  (Read 1453 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Church of Scientology Proposes Net Censorship In Australia (Slashdot)
7 September 2009, 7:59 am

An anonymous reader writes
"Submitted by the Australian branch of Scientology to the local Human Rights Commission is a proposal to eliminate anonymity on the net and the removal of critical websites (MS Word document). The submission is listed as #1931 at this page at the Australian Human Rights Commission." (Read on below for some of the details of what the Scientologists propose.)

"SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS:
  • Recommendation 1: The implementation of Criminal and Civil Restrictions on Religious Vilification.
  • Recommendation 2: Restriction on Anonymity on acts of Religious Vilification:
    • 2.1 Websites created with primary purpose of inciting religious vilification shall be removed or their access to the Australian public restricted.
    • 2.2 Creators of websites whose primary purpose is the incitement of religious vilification shall be prevented from concealing their identity.
  • Recommendation 3: Restriction on Religious Misinformation and Misrepresentation known or reasonably known to be untruthful in the Media
  • Recommendation 4: Include a form of Bill or Charter of Rights into the Australian Constitution, which prevents the Commonwealth from making any law, which 'directly, indirectly or incidentally' prohibits the free exercise of religion to the extent of such prohibition."

comments being made at http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/09/07/0520225/Church-of-Scientology-Proposes-Net-Censorship-In-Australia?from=rss and undoubtedly at other places.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 15:29 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
I read this earlier on /. and find it simply appalling.  Hopefully the Australian government will have enough sense to realize what is going on.  Or perhaps the same laws, if enacted, should be used against Scientology for teaching that (basically) all other religions are lies based on mind implants in a previous life; that "vilifies" a lot of religions!

Scientology is attempting to use the word "vilify" and its variants in its favor, though its hypocrisy needs to be turned upon itself.