Author Topic: Scientology Uses Its Movie Stars to Woo Politicians, Says Former Top Exec (OR ... - Village Voice (b  (Read 486 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Scientology Uses Its Movie Stars to Woo Politicians, Says Former Top Exec (OR ... - Village Voice (blog)
3 August 2011, 1:47 pm

‚ÄčAnother revelation this afternoon from Marty Rathbun, formerly one of the highest executives in Scientology who defected in 2004 and since 2009 has been criticizing church leader David Miscavige at his blog, "Moving On Up a Little ...

.....How did the church intend to loosen up Florida's pols? By setting up lunches and dinners with its stable of celebrities.

This is very relevant today, when in Los Angeles, Scientology's influence over Sheriff Lee Baca has suddenly become a news item.

But in the period of 1999 to 2003, Scientology's need for damage control was particularly critical. McPherson had died in 1995, but it wasn't until a year later that the public started to become aware of her unusual death at the Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater, Florida -- one of Scientology's most important landmarks. (For the best write-up of McPherson's entire history, make sure you pick up a copy of Janet Reitman's compelling history, Inside Scientology, which we reviewed in June.)

The Church of Scientology was indicted on two felony counts in 1998 over the death of McPherson. Through the next year, press attention on the church was unsparingly negative. Rathbun says it was the third worst tidal wave of bad press in Scientology's history, after the 1977 FBI raids following Scientology's widespread infiltration of government offices, and the 1982 lawsuit filed by Ron DeWolf (formerly L. Ron Hubbard, Jr.) for control of his father's estate.

more at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/scientology_use.php
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 23:37 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.