Author Topic: The Top 25 People Crippling Scientology, No. 22: Jamie DeWolf - Village Voice  (Read 971 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
The Top 25 People Crippling Scientology, No. 22: Jamie DeWolf
By Tony Ortega Sat., Aug. 13 2011

For several years, a man named Jamie DeWolf has been getting noticed for his slam poetry. But now, it looks like he's really about to break out. Why? Well, we posted this video recently, and the response was pretty huge. Just watch and you'll probably understand why:

http://youtu.be/0QsCrFANMzc
Credit: Snap Judgment's series, "Drama Momma!"

Several friends of Runnin' Scared sent me copies of that video seemingly all at the same time recently, and after I posted it here on July 21, it spread quickly, showing up at the Washington Post and getting DeWolf and radio show Snap Judgment a lot of exposure. In Boston this week to compete in a national slam poetry competition with his regular troupe, Tourettes Without Regrets, DeWolf spoke to me on the telephone about his growing celebrity as a Hubbard descendent.

"Some people think I'm just coming out of the gate, the start of my anti-Scientology career," he says. But it was more than a decade ago, in 2000, that he first dramatized his family background. Today, however, he has a hard time looking back at that performance, saying that it was "an incoherent mess." He had a lot more to learn about his famous great-grandfather and about Scientology. He's been apt pupil ever since. But he's rarely talked openly about it. (He also had a different name then. Born Jamie Kennedy, he has taken his mother's maiden name, DeWolf, to avoid confusion with another comic named Jamie Kennedy.)

"I think it's funny when people think I'm trying to cash in on the Scientology aspect, because I've actually kept away from it a long time because of the hassle," he says.

After that first performance, his mother was visited by a couple of men claiming to be poets who were interested in his material. She got them to admit they were Scientologists. They subsequently branded him an "anti-religious slam poet" in a flier.

more at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/jamie_dewolf_top_25_crippling_scientology.php
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Poetic Justice, for sure!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos
"I think it's funny when people think I'm trying to cash in on the Scientology aspect, because I've actually kept away from it a long time because of the hassle," he says.

Because obviously Scientology cares greatly about the social injustice of making money off religion. lol

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

Because obviously Scientology cares greatly about the social injustice of making money off religion. lol

Well, Hubbard did say, "the criminal accuses others of his crimes".  It was a rare confessional moment for him.    :yes:)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions