Author Topic: Scientology Apostate Part IV: Deciding The Church Was a Fraud - SF Weekly (blog)  (Read 612 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Scientology Apostate Part IV: Deciding The Church Was a Fraud - SF Weekly (blog)
29 September 2011, 4:26 pm

For our final post -- for now -- from the self-proclaimed Scientologist apostate inside the San Francisco Church of Scientology, we talk to ethicstrouble about the path to deciding that Scientology was a hoax. "The reason I'm talking to you is I want this thing to fall apart," ethicstrouble told us. "I think it abuses people's faith, promises things it can't deliver, and I think it's awful."

If you'd like to catch up with our previous conversations, here are our posts to date:

Ethicstrouble releases San Francisco churches statistics
Life in the Org
Anonymous' Effect On Scientology

SF Weekly: So was this a long process or was there one "aha" moment that started you on the path to questioning Scientology?

Ethicstrouble: It's a very, very slow process. You had something in your life that made you so happy, that told you I've lived past lives, I'm an immortal being, and Scientology is going to bring me up to a state where I experience immortality. If you believe that, you're willing to overlook so many things. Once you're a believer, it's hard to break that spell.

SFW: When did the process start for you?

ET: Ive been looking online for about three years now for information.

SFW: So would you say that the Internet is the death knell of Scientology?

ET:  Absolutely. Before you believed whatever they told you, I saw people getting in trouble years and years ago for reading A Piece of Blue Sky [a 1990 book that criticized the church], for having that and looking at it. They were told the book is all a lie, and you were already converted so you totally thought the book was a lie.

SFW: Other than masked Anonymous protesters dancing outside the org, what made you start to question your beliefs?

ET: It's fueled by the fact the technology does not work. Anonymous wakes people up and makes them question more. The chairman of the board say we're going straight up in vertical, but it's been six years and the number [of people] in our courses is the same. You slowly start picking out lies. People who reach these OT levels are supposed to have these special abilities, and you look at them and say, 'They're the same they were years ago.'

[Ethicstrouble references a passage from L. Ron Hubbard's History of Man that states: "So, again, as a final note on this chapter, let's not go upsetting governments and putting on a show to 'prove' anything to homo sapiens for a while; it's a horrible temptation to knock off hats at fifty yards and read books a couple of countries away ..."]

None of them can knock hats off at 50 yards. People in the OT levels supposedly don't get upset anymore, but I know OT8's that get upset all the time. You start finding little things that don't make sense.

more at http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/09/scientology_apostate_part_iv_d.php
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 23:35 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.