Author Topic: DENIED!  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Ultrapoet

• Joker and Degrader
DENIED!
« on: September 17, 2009, 22:40 »
It still has to go to the Mayor and City Council, but the Planning Commission voted 3-2 to DENY the application entirely.

The woods, we are not out of them yet.  But this is a definite win.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: DENIED!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 23:42 »
WIN AFTER WIN AFTER WIN AFTER WIN!!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 23:56 »
 ;D CAN not sleep. To much win. It was on the 11 o'clock evening news on channel 2 WSB.

http://www.wsbtv.com/index.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the WSB link, have a look @ the Dragoncon pic,s. 2 pic,s are of Guy Fawkes in full dress and another Guy Fawkes carrying the flag during the parade.

I am overwhelmed with emotion.

Raven

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 00:07 »
AJC here: http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton/sandy-springs-planning-board-141069.html

The Church of Scientology should not move to Sandy Springs, the city’s Planning Commission decided Thursday night.

In a 3-2 vote, the commission denied the church’s request to rezone a former office building at Roswell Road and Glenridge Drive into its Georgia headquarters. Members David Rubenstein and Donald Boyken dissented.
The vote is nonbinding but will be considered by the City Council during its vote. The City Council is scheduled to vote on the issue at its Oct. 20 meeting.
The swift vote cheered the 30 residents who showed up to oppose the rezoning, but church leaders and 30 members who showed up in support of the move were undeterred.
“We would obviously have preferred to have their approval, but obviously we didn’t win the popularity contest,” said W. Woodson Galloway, the attorney representing the church. “But we will proceed with our request.”
Residents, too, pledged to turn out in force when the matter heads to the City Council. More than 500 people have signed petitions, urging a denial of the rezoning because of parking and traffic problems. Sixteen of the city’s homeowners associations have also formally voted to oppose the rezoning.
“We are really glad that they recognized the problems, but we know that we will be back,” said Patty Burns, president of the Round Hill Condominiums, which sit across from the proposed church site.
Bob Adams, vice president of public affairs for the Church of Scientology International, based in Los Angeles, said, “The church is eager to work with both the city and the residents to reach some sort of agreement.”
He cited various philanthropic and educational programs run by the church as why a move would benefit Sandy Springs. The church has been trying since last spring to get city approval to rezone the Georgian brick building so it can move from Dunwoody.
The city has deferred twice as attorneys from Sandy Springs and Scientology hammered out conditions for a rezoning.
The Planning Commission had been expected to vote between two sets of conditions.
The original conditions called for keeping the existing 111 parking spaces on the site but limited the church to three floors.
The compromise negotiated by the attorneys allowed the church to convert 30 parking spaces into a fourth-floor area for the church but kept the occupancy at 283.
Church representatives said the additional space in the compromise was needed for its operations and hinted at lawsuits if the city denied them.
But because Galloway said the church would not accept the smaller facility, which the commission had recommended earlier this summer, the majority of the board voted to deny outright.

Raven

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 00:32 »
my thoughts here:

When we walked up to the door we noticed  about 20 sci with really cheap badges on saying "I support the church of scientology" and it had that ever so cool cross next to it.  One of our anons briefly had one in their hands.  Its a long story and its up to them to post it or not.

They sat down pretty much in mass.  They looked sad and beaten the whole time.  Bob Adams was back to pretty much speak about stuff the council had no interest in.

The rest of this is definitely my opinion:
One of the members of the commission asked the cults lawyer, Galloway, about the 2 other which allowed for rezoning, but with conditions if the y would work for them. Galloway answered no. The cult needed all that space to practice their faith.  Using that reasoning then there was no reason to even consider the compromises.   So it eventually came down to a vote of for or against the original rezoning question. 

On a funnier note it was brought up by a different planning commission member that scientology is organized more like a business and that could affect the traffic flow and parking issues.  For a second I thought SS was going to officially call sci a business.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 04:00 »
HIP HIP HOORAY and HUZZAH.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:47 »
I have to wonder how many private investigators the cult has looking at the zoning commission members, the mayor, and the city council by now.

As many as they can afford, would be my guess!

What an epic win for Sandy Springs

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:52 »
The story is spreading fast!  Most of the news outlets which are picking up the story are carrying the AJC article that went out on the Associated Press (AP) newswire.

The interesting thing to me is that they could be in the building now without rezoning, and could probably have even gotten the Planning Commission to approve the city staff's recommendation with conditions, that is to keep the building with the 3 existing floors and retain all of the existing parking spaces, if they weren't so insistent on converting the basement parking to a 4th floor. 

It baffles me as to why the 4th floor (basement) is so important that they will spend all this time and money on the lawyer (who ain't a cheap one), instead of using the building as it is, or better still, to have just bought a building that suits their needs in the first place. 

There is an issue with the floor load rating on the first floor (75 lbs. per foot vs. the required 100 lbs. per foot), so I understand that they can't put a sanctuary on the first floor, but why are they so determined that they need a sanctuary, when people who have been to the "Sunday Services" say that it is not well attended (and very short, 15 minutes is what I have heard)?  But because they insisted that they "must have" the additional floor, and Planning Commissioners were not willing to let them eliminate the basement parking, the PC had no real reason to approve anything. 

And then the DSA Deb Danos has the gall to say:

Overall, the church is just looking to "fit into the neighborhood."

http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-09-17-166726.113118_Scientologists_anxious_to_move_to_city.html

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:28 »
Now also posted to Mark Bunker's site: http://www.xenutv.com/blog/?p=3578
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03 »
 Last night @ 11:00 p.m. the teleivison reporter from WSBtv Channel 2 did a LIVE broadcast in front of the scientology property on roswell rd. During the television segment one of the scientologists was shown speaking at the podium during the meeting. Also shots of Galloway. Then local citizens speaking @ the podium. The reporter stated the SS board of zoning commissioners through a real MONKEY WRENCH in the so called churches plans for the property in question.

WSB also ran the audio on its radio program. I do hope the video by WSB channel 2 will be made available on their website.