Author Topic: Sandy Springs Reporter article - Planning board denies Scientologists' move to  (Read 2440 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-09-18-166790.113118_Planning_board_denies_Scientologists_move_to_city.html

Planning board denies Scientologists' move to city
by Amy Wenk
September 18, 2009

In a surprising turn of events, Sept. 17 the Sandy Springs Planning Commission voted 3 to 2 to deny the Church of Scientology's request to relocate to 5395 Roswell Road. Now it's up to the City Council to take the final vote Oct. 20.

The church's attorney, Woody Galloway of Dillard & Galloway, said the congregation was "disappointed" but would ultimately prevail in the end.

"We are being treated different," said Bob Adams, vice president of public affairs for the Church of Scientology International, based in Los Angeles. "The real target here should be the intersection."

But opposed residents had a different take.

"The fact the property is overdeveloped came to light," said Sandy Springs resident and architect Daniel Hubble, who lives in the Courtyards of Glenridge.

"We are pleased the Planning Commission has realized this is an over-intensification of this site," said resident Robin Beechey, who represents the 50 homeowners of the Willow Glen Condominiums.

Just a month earlier, the commission had voted to approve the church's rezoning application that would permit religious use of the property it purchased in 2005 at the corner of Roswell Road and Glenridge Drive. But because the city would not permit the church to enclose the basement for additional square footage (and thus 30 less parking spaces), the Scientologists brought forth a set of new conditions when they went before the City Council in August. The case was deferred at that time and sent back to the Planning Commission.

"We know there is a lot of emotion in this matter," Lee Duncan, chair of the Planning Commission, said as the meeting began Sept. 17.

And there certainly has been. The process has roused 16 neighborhood or civic associations, and the city has received at least 500 signatures on petitions since the Church of Scientology submitted its rezoning application in March. Inadequate parking and increased traffic have been their major concerns.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
I just have to ask, what the hell is wrong with the 2 commission members that votes FOR it? :P

Also, Bob Adams, it is differentLY. -LY! -LY! -LY! And the building is LOCATED AT THAT INTERSECTION, idiot.

(I have been going into grammar nerd fits all month due to commercials that misuse "Less" instead of "Fewer" and a LOT of missing -ly suffixes on words that NEED them. I'm going to start awarding gold stars to people who manage not to mongle the English language on the television, as giving out swift kicks for those that do would be too exhausting.

Case in point: TNT's assertion that they have MORE movies and LESS commercials. NO. You have FEWER commercials.

It is not "TEN ITEMS OR LESS," Kroger, Publix, Food Lion! It is "TEN ITEMS OR FEWER."

/rawr!

If y'all love me, you will look up the difference between less and fewer, as it is my current Grammar Geek Hot Button of RAEG. I had a nightmare the other day that our language somehow devolved over the next 50 years into "1337 txt spk lol kthxbai hehehe :) :) :)" and the translations of Shakespeare were 6 pages long and depressing to read...if only anyone still READ BOOKS. It was like "Idiocracy 2: the Endumbening".)

:)

But I digress.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I just have to ask, what the hell is wrong with the 2 commission members that votes FOR it? :P

Scared of fair game?

Also, Bob Adams, it is differentLY. -LY! -LY! -LY! And the building is LOCATED AT THAT INTERSECTION, idiot.

Well, you know, Study Tech in action, and all.   ;)

In this article, I think maybe Deb Danos has given us a clue as to what Bob meant:

http://sandysprings.lps2.com/Articles-c-2009-09-17-166726.113118_Scientologists_anxious_to_move_to_city.html
As for traffic, Danos said the congregation might donate a triangle-shaped portion of land at the corner of Roswell Road and Glenridge Drive. "We are more than willing to consider" that to improve traffic congestion at the intersection, she said.

I think their next move will be to offer up that piece of land in exchange for the basement enclosure.  That won't be much of a compromise, though, considering that if the city accepted it in order to fix the intersection, it would be the city's pocket that the money would come from to make road changes, it would be years in the future before the change would be made, and last, but certainly not least - if the city decided they needed that piece of the property for road changes, they could take it with EMINENT DOMAIN anytime they were ready.

(I have been going into grammar nerd fits all month due to commercials that misuse "Less" instead of "Fewer" and a LOT of missing -ly suffixes on words that NEED them. I'm going to start awarding gold stars to people who manage not to mongle the English language on the television, as giving out swift kicks for those that do would be too exhausting.

Case in point: TNT's assertion that they have MORE movies and LESS commercials. NO. You have FEWER commercials.

It is not "TEN ITEMS OR LESS," Kroger, Publix, Food Lion! It is "TEN ITEMS OR FEWER."

/rawr!

If y'all love me, you will look up the difference between less and fewer, as it is my current Grammar Geek Hot Button of RAEG. I had a nightmare the other day that our language somehow devolved over the next 50 years into "1337 txt spk lol kthxbai hehehe :) :) :)" and the translations of Shakespeare were 6 pages long and depressing to read...if only anyone still READ BOOKS. It was like "Idiocracy 2: the Endumbening".)

:)

But I digress.

I'm with ya, but you and wynot should start a club!  His particular button is the word "ongoing."  He's always yelling to the TV that the word is "continuing."

"Less" is a measure of volume, where "fewer" is a measure of number.  Did I get it right, teacher?  Huh, did I, did I?   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
LOL at grammar geek RAEG! Different vs differently really stood out for me.

Advertisers love to use the word "LESS." They all do it. That will probably never change.
Also, continuing is much better than ongoing ;D

But we all digress........

The cult is planning a lawlsuit if the final determination is denial. Amirite?
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

So they've hinted at. 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos

It may just be my personal opinion but I think any judge who looks at the way things have been handled and the cult's lack of willingness to compromise is going to be angry that they even wasted his/her time.  Everything was totally done by the book and the ruling was made because there is definitely not enough parking on the property already and the fact it is on a very busy intersection.  The cult has nothing to base any sort of discrimination suit on I think.  They are just wanting to throw a tantrum as per usual.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Yes, my darling 'Cat, you get a gold star! Correct!

I also grimace a bit at words like "outstanding" or "cleave" (that can mean two vastly different things) when there is no clarification re: which meaning is intended.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline Ultrapoet

• Joker and Degrader
The two guys who voted against the denial had voted for the original conditions put on it (no basement enclosure, etc.) and I suppose they wanted to be consistent and make some effort to seem 'reasonable' even though there is no 'reasoning' with the CoS in the first place.  (Not that they're really aware of that.)

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
I have never, and will never, ongo. I will continue; I may maintain; I am likely to persevere; I pray I can endure; but I will not ongo. Nor will I hobnob with those who might ongo.

What kind of illiterate asshole would invent a hideous word like that? An Arab terrorist, mayhaps, bent on destroying western civilization beginning with our wonderful English language?!

Sorry; /rant
'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis