Author Topic: [Yahoo] Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney Bernie McCabe says he'll seek one last term  (Read 1665 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney Bernie McCabe says he'll seek one last term
23 December 2011, 7:40 pm

By Curtis Krueger, Times Staff Writer Friday, December 23, 2011

For nearly two decades, Bernie McCabe has served as the top prosecutor for Pinellas and Pasco counties, helping to convict such criminals as triple-murderer Oba Chandler, cop killer Alfredie Steele Jr., and the thieving Rev. Henry Lyons Jr.

Now, as McCabe prepares to enter his 20th year as Pinellas-Pasco state attorney, he also has started to envision the end of his career.

McCabe, 64, said in a recent interview that he plans to run for re-election in 2012 and serve one last four-year term....

....McCabe said he is satisfied with the course of his career, though it has been marked by some disappointments, such as the abortive prosecution of the Church of Scientology in connection with the death of church member Lisa McPherson. McCabe dropped the case after the medical examiner changed her findings about the death.

McCabe also says that because of tight budgets, "the last six years or so has been very, very frustrating for me."

He praises the "superior legal staff and support staff "of his office, but said he has not been able to give them cost-of-living raises for years, and not nearly enough merit increases....

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/pinellas-pasco-state-attorney-bernie-mccabe-says-hell-seek-one-last-term/1207658
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 22:40 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.