Author Topic: [Google] RE: Scientology: Religion or Get Rich Quick Sacm? - OmniNerd (blog)  (Read 1227 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
RE: Scientology: Religion or Get Rich Quick Sacm? - OmniNerd (blog)
9 April 2010, 10:05 am

extracted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversies#L._Ron_Hubbard_and_starting_a_religion_for_money

L. Ron Hubbard and starting a religion for money

Further information: Scientology as a business
While the oft-cited rumor that Hubbard made a bar bet with Robert A. Heinlein that he could start a cult is unproven, many witnesses have reported Hubbard making statements in their presence that starting a religion would be a good way to make money. These statements have led many to believe that Hubbard hid his true intentions and was motivated solely by potential financial rewards.
Editor Sam Merwin, for example, recalled a meeting: “I always knew he was exceedingly anxious to hit big money—he used to say he thought the best way to do it would be to start a cult.” (December 1946)72 Writer and publisher Lloyd Arthur Eshbach reported Hubbard saying “I’d like to start a religion. That’s where the money is.” Writer Theodore Sturgeon reported that Hubbard made a similar statement at the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society. Likewise, writer Sam Moskowitz reported in an affidavit that during an Eastern Science Fiction Association meeting on November 11, 1948, Hubbard had said “You don’t get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”73 Milton A. Rothman also reported to his son Tony Rothman that he heard Hubbard make exactly that claim at a science fiction convention. In 1998, an A&E documentary titled “Inside Scientology” shows Lyle Stuart reporting that Hubbard stated repeatedly that to make money, “you start a religion.”74
According to The Visual Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, ed. Brian Ash, Harmony Books, 1977:
" . . .[Hubbard] began making statements to the effect that any writer who really wished to make money should stop writing and develop [a] religion, or devise a new psychiatric method. Harlan Ellison’s version (Time Out, UK, No 332) is that Hubbard is reputed to have told [John W.] Campbell, “I’m going to invent a religion that’s going to make me a fortune. I’m tired of writing for a penny a word.” Sam Moskowitz, a chronicler of science fiction, has reported that he himself heard Hubbard make a similar statement, but there is no first-hand evidence."
The following letter, written by L. Ron Hubbard, was discovered by the FBI during its raid on Scientology headquarters. The letter shows Hubbard turned Scientology into a “religion” for financial reasons:
(1953)
DEAR HELEN
10 APRIL
RE CLINIC, HAS
The arrangements that have been made seem a good temporary measure. On a longer look, however, something more equitable will have to be organized. I am not quite sure what we would call the place – probably not a clinic – but I am sure that it ought to be a company, independent of the HAS [the Hubbard Association of Scientologists] but fed by the HAS. We don’t want a clinic. We want one in operation but not in name. Perhaps we could call it a Spiritual Guidance Center. Think up its name, will you. And we could put in nice desks and our boys in neat blue with diplomas on the walls and 1. knock psychotherapy into history and 2. make enough money to shine up my operating scope and 3. keep the HAS solvent. It is a problem of practical business. I await your reaction on the religion angle. In my opinion, we couldn’t get worse public opinion than we have had or have less customers with what we’ve got to sell. A religious charter would be necessary in Pennsylvania or NJ to make it stick. But I sure could make it stick. We’re treating the present time beingness, psychotherapy treats the past and the brain. And brother, that’s religion, not mental science.

http://www.omninerd.com/comments/29460
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:24 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
MOAR LIEK A "GET POOR" SCAM, AMIRITE?
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
Yes, you are...

:D

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis