Author Topic: Were The Scientology Books David Gaiman Donated Burned at Oxford Union Party?  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
I'm not for such radical acts but it sure is a funny story. Comments at the article link below are open and suggested, lol

Destruction in the Union at presidential handover
by Vidhi Doshi | 18:22 GMT, Tue 15 March 2011

The presidential handover dinner on Saturday night at the Oxford Union saw the destruction of Union property as guests allegedly smashed glass, danced on tables and burnt books.

The dinner marked the end of James Langman's tenure as Union president, and the inauguration of Ashvir Sangha.

A pile of ash leftover from the night's celebrations remained by the wooden benches outside the Union building on Monday morning. Three sources confirmed that a Union rulebook was burnt.

Photo: Facebook: Westbury burns the Union rules

Speculations have also been made that some of the books burnt on the night included Scientology books donated to the Oxford Union by the late David Gaiman, publicity Director for L. Ron Hubbard's Church of Scientology.

President-elect Izzy Westbury said that "she can't really say for sure" whether any Scientology books were burnt.

However, a number of boxes were found opened with the contents distributed around the Union.

A source reported finding a book about Dianetics, a system believed by Scientologists to relieve psychosomatic disorders by cleansing the mind of harmful mental images, in the General Office.[..]

[..] Some members, including president-elect Izzy Westbury, said that they were just burning printed pages. Westbury said, "Firstly, I definitely did not burn any books."

She told Cherwell, "Early in the evening, myself, along with an Ex-Librarian (who has now left Oxford), jokingly burnt a print-out page of the Union rules. That was all - it was a joke and nothing else and no Scientology books were burnt!

"With regards to whether anyone actually burnt any Scientology books, I can't really say for sure. I got quite tipsy quite early on and didn't really see or do anything exciting or noticeable from about midnight onwards... However I do think, that if there were books burnt, it's pretty bad behaviour and especially if they had been donated to the Union."

Westbury's Facebook status the following morning read, "what on earth happened last night????" [..]

[..] Union Officers have expressed concerns that reports of potential Scientology book burnings in the press could deter celebrity followers of the cult-religion from speaking at the Union.

Attempts were made to contact Langman and Sangha, but both failed to respond.
http://www.cherwell.org/content/11603

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
Just for the record, I totally disapprove of burning cult texts. Your local recycling centers have powerful shredders, which can reduce even hardbound copies of D:TMSOMH to biodegradable dust in moments, without adding dangerous carbons to the atmosphere we all share!

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I'm wondering why they would be concerned about Scientology celebrities speaking at the union or not.

I also feel badly for the cult members that donated money to donate the books, whether they were burned or not. 
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Just for the record, I totally disapprove of burning cult texts. Your local recycling centers have powerful shredders, which can reduce even hardbound copies of D:TMSOMH to biodegradable dust in moments, without adding dangerous carbons to the atmosphere we all share!

I am not a fan of book burning, but I like your environmental friendly method, Wynot.

Westbury's Facebook status the following morning read, "what on earth happened last night?

;D
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
David Gaiman bequeathed his books, HCO PLs etc - perhaps correspondence with Hubbard,  to Oxford Union. No one but he shelled out money. Many were probably older collectables, as he was an old timer.

After John Le Carré, Oxford is blessed by L Ron Hubbard
L Ron Hubbard has left Oxford University with something of a quandary after bequeathing his collected works to the Union.

By Tim Walker 6:30AM GMT 26 Feb 2011
John le Carré’s decision to donate his literary archive to Oxford University delighted the academic community this week because its value could not be disputed.

There is, however, something of a question mark over the extent to which the powers-that-be at the university should be grateful for the 10 boxes of books, CDs and papers that are now stacked up outside the office of James Langman, the president of the Union.

They contain the collected works of L Ron Hubbard, the founder of the controversial Church of Scientology. They were bequeathed to the Union by David Gaiman, the church’s publicity director in Britain in the Sixties, who died, aged 75, in March 2009. Langman tells Mandrake: “One of my predecessors invited Gaiman to address us, but he died before the appointed date.

“I think the will must have been sorted out relatively recently, because the next thing we heard was that he had made provision for us to have all of these boxes delivered to us and now they have arrived. I suppose it will be a matter for the library and the university authorities what is to be done with them, but, I have to say, I haven’t actually got around to opening any of them yet.”

Hubbard could not lay claim, unlike Le Carré, to being an Oxford man. In fact, when British diplomats looked into the qualifications of the man who founded Tom Cruise’s church of choice, they discovered that he had awarded himself a PhD from a college that he had himself acquired.
  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8347939/After-John-Le-Carre-Oxford-is-blessed-by-L-Ron-Hubbard.html

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Thank you, Mary.  Now it all makes more sense.  Well, not really (it's hard for me to make sense of destructive behavior), but at least I understand what the books, etc. are about.  The books and other donations were viewed as a historical thing, right, not as recruitment?

I thought it was about a labor union, lol.    (OUO)

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Thank you, Mary.  Now it all makes more sense.  Well, not really (it's hard for me to make sense of destructive behavior), but at least I understand what the books, etc. are about.  The books and other donations were viewed as a historical thing, right, not as recruitment?

I thought it was about a labor union, lol.    (OUO)

This is an educational/historical place. So It's a historical thing and for done by Gaiman for posterity, PR and recruitment purposes, I suppose. There was probably some deal that hinted at Scn celebs coming to talk there, using the donated materials as a lead in. Not sure that will fly with the new director.  ;D