Author Topic: Have You Told All? Inside My Time With Narconon and Scientology  (Read 56420 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: Have You Told All? Inside My Time With Narconon and Scientology
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 01:57 »
Funny we should be up so late and attending to the book. I just emailed you, Luke! I've been reading your terrific book and just forced myself to put it down so I can get to sleep.

Must be up at 6am  :'(

Will post a review soon :)
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23 »
Funny we should be up so late and attending to the book. I just emailed you, Luke! I've been reading your terrific book and just forced myself to put it down so I can get to sleep.

Must be up at 6am  :'(

Will post a review soon :)

Thank you, Mary.  I greatly appreciate all that you do and value your feedback!

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 07:50 »
Its pretty bad ass dude.  Good job!!!
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17 »
 The book needs no review in my humble opinion. This book stands on its own merits as a factual account of a young mans journey through something unfathomable to the casual reader. If you want a fact based from the heart truth based account of the writers experience's within Scientology and Narconon,by all means read this book!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:29 by SocialTransparency »

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2013, 09:20 »
Thank you BMF and ST, it is very kind to hear!  I hope it is able to shed more light on the overall situation in a way that hasn't been expressed before.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39 »
It does. 
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2013, 23:29 »
Ok, I was going to wait till I finished the book to comment, but this part just screams out at me:

Scientology had hired its own full-time lobbyist, Greg Mitchell.  I had attended a meeting in the conference room above Rena's office at ABLE Int in LA regarding Scientology's social betterment representation at the Capitol in D.C. Present at the meeting were Gary Smith, Deputy Commanding Officer of the Office of Special Affairs (OSA) Kurt Weiland and his assistant, Greg Mitchell, ABLE Director of Development Rubina Qureshi, Clark Carr,
Rena Weinberg and me.

Rena had told me prior to the meeting to basically stay silent and observe since Kurt Weiland was going to be there, which I did for the most part. However, they had gotten some things mixed up and I interjected regarding the scene in Oklahoma. I explained my position within OSASA and the state of affairs, as well as my understanding of the political landscape in the addiction treatment field at the time.

The main political goals included gaining more acceptance and support, but also to find budgetary earmarks to be able to get public funding for Scientology activities through ABLE programs. Mitchell was supposed to keep an eye out for possible funding sources.

It was my understanding that as a non-profit church, Scientology is not supposed to be doing any lobbying or political activity.  Other church organizations have had their tax exemption yanked for doing that. 

BigBeard might have some comment on this, too, since he seems to have an interest in the tax-exemption.

Is this an exploitable vulnerability?
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 23:58 »
By the way, I split off Confusedhsbnd's posts into their own thread.
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12264.0.html

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 00:17 »
It was my understanding that as a non-profit church, Scientology is not supposed to be doing any lobbying or political activity.  Other church organizations have had their tax exemption yanked for doing that.

BigBeard might have some comment on this, too, since he seems to have an interest in the tax-exemption.

Is this an exploitable vulnerability?

I did a bit of research into this area as well, and believe that it just has to be kept under a certain percentage of their budget or time focus, though I could be wrong.  At the time of that meeting, Greg Mitchell was introduced to me as a "new Scientologist" and he then later was fully converted.  It certainly calls for more investigation.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
ET went home.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 14:43 »
I'm pretty much focused on the money flows between the organizations. But it's also my understanding that, with a few limited exceptions, lobbying of the type mentioned is not allowed.

BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2013, 20:06 »
I can't stress it enough that Lucas Catton's book, Have You Told All, is a must-read for everyone.
http://www.amazon.com/Have-You-Told-All-Scientology/dp/0615768725/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361462551&sr=1-1

It's the first ever written by someone who came into Scientology through Narconon, who did the program, joined staff, became an executive and found himself lead into Scientology and becoming a scientologist by Narconon's efforts. The course his young adult life took, as he came to understand the mess he'd gotten himself into, is filled with difficult choices and a desire to do what was right despite the opposition. This book shows how the ordinary person gets sucked into Narconon, how Narconon works and how the church of Scientology plays an integral part in trying to control the lives of Narconon victims through this front group. Luke has come a long way since being declared an SP. This book explains his evolution into and out of the insanity and the sacrifices he had to make in order to be able to think for himself and preserve his relationship with what was left of his family.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 20:21 »
Thank you.  I very sincerely appreciate your words.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2013, 20:25 »
I can't stress it enough that Lucas Catton's book, Have You Told All, is a must-read for everyone.
http://www.amazon.com/Have-You-Told-All-Scientology/dp/0615768725/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361462551&sr=1-1

It's the first ever written by someone who came into Scientology through Narconon, who did the program, joined staff, became an executive and found himself lead into Scientology and becoming a scientologist by Narconon's efforts. The course his young adult life took, as he came to understand the mess he'd gotten himself into, is filled with difficult choices and a desire to do what was right despite the opposition. This book shows how the ordinary person gets sucked into Narconon, how Narconon works and how the church of Scientology plays an integral part in trying to control the lives of Narconon victims through this front group. Luke has come a long way since being declared an SP. This book explains his evolution into and out of the insanity and the sacrifices he had to make in order to be able to think for himself and preserve his relationship with what was left of his family.

Well done, Mary.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Intelligence

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 22:44 »
Great job Luke, in getting your book published and available - - my copy is ordered
and on the way.

Looking forward to reading it ASAP {HUG} :)
An Ol' Irish Quote:
“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 01:42 »
Thank you Luke. And mefree

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 07:23 »
Thanks for writing your book, Luke. Reading it now.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21 »
Thanks David and WM!

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 10:33 »
I'm pretty much focused on the money flows between the organizations. But it's also my understanding that, with a few limited exceptions, lobbying of the type mentioned is not allowed.

The work you are doing is greatly appreciated BB

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2013, 11:05 »

The work you are doing is greatly appreciated BB

Yes, much appreciated!!